Thursday, September 27, 2007

The first in a three-part series...Patriotism, Politics, and Poop

Well, despite my best creative efforts to design a blog that measures up to those of our friends, I do believe, "failed" is the word that comes to mind. I guess that's why I'm an accountant...no creativity required. What was red and blue all over without a hint of Ole Miss on it? Daniel and Shea's blog! Well, not any longer. Which leads me to my first P...Patriotism.

I've read three military history books this year (Flags of our Fathers, Flyboys, and Don't Tread on Me). Reading these, as well as reflecting on what's going on in the world today, has really reminded me that even in 2007 America still needs Patriots. I'm not planning on dressing up like Mel Gibson anytime soon, but the fight for our freedom still exists. These books have also really helped me to be more mindful of all that I have to be thankful for as an American. So many people throughout history have sacrificed so I can enjoy the America that exists today. I desire to live a life that honors that sacrifice. Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. ~Ronald Reagan

No comments: